Tips for Selling
Coming to your senses
The more you do to prepare your home for market, the more money you can expect to pocket at the closing table. First impressions are critical to selling a home for the right price, and improving the sensory appeal is just one way you can stage your home to sell. Here are a few things you can do to capture the most interest in your property:
- Hire a professional cleaning crew to come in and make your home sparkle. Make sure to get your windows cleaned inside and out, too.
- Shine up your appliances, especially if they are old. Old and shiny beats old and dull any day.
- Clean out storage rooms and closets. Pack up your old figurines and tabletop collections, or have a garage sale. Let the buyer see the room, not just the stuff in it.
- Make sure pets are outside or, better yet, gone completely. As much as we love our pets, they can really distract a buyer’s experience.
- Light a candle. Do not use a scent that’s too aromatic, but a fresh clean scent should do the trick.
- Put some fresh flowers in the kitchen. Kitchens go a long way in helping to sell a home, so the importance of making your kitchen appealing can’t be underestimated.
- Don’t cook anything too pungent just before showing your home. Odors can be a huge turnoff during an open house.
- Turn off the TV and turn on (at a low volume) some soft music.
There are many ways to increase your home’s sensory appeal. You can get some good ideas by touring model homes to see how they are staged to appeal to buyers. For more tips on staging your home to sell, talk to your Texas REALTOR®.